Monday, June 6, 2011

Practice, Practice, Practice

It was a great day for flying.  We took the Diamond DA20 N362DC for a long 1.6 hour flight.  Nothing new in the air was introduced, but we practiced, practiced and practiced.  I’m starting to feel more confident in my new abilities.

I completed 8 take offs and landings and they were not smooth has as last Tuesday. 

During one landing, my CFI cut the circuit to the flaps to make them inoperable.  I was able to get the plane safely to the ground without the use of flaps, which is reassuring, but I did use more runway than I would have liked.  I now have a better appreciation for the additions of the flaps (I mentioned them in a prior post, but I’ll go into more detail in the future).

We also practiced a landing with a simulated engine failure.  Once again, got the plane safely on the ground.

On another positive note, my taxiing skills has progressed from absolutely terrible to awkward but still on the taxiway.  Communications with the tower is progressing as well.

In the end, there wasn’t one part of today’s flight that I can say “I nailed it!”, but overall I’m pleased with the results for my training.

Ground instruction: .3 hours   Flight time: 1.60 hours
Cost:  Plane rental - $184.00, Instructor Fee - $80.00

No comments:

Post a Comment