Thursday, October 13, 2011

Night Flight

Today was my 2nd night flight in the Cessna 172 (434EP). The winds aloft were pretty strong at about 30 knots, but near the ground they were minimal.


This time we went to Sumner County Regional Airport (M33) just north of Nashville. I performed four landings (plus one returning to Nashville) at M33, the final one without the lights on. Landing at night is really the same as landing during the day, but the line of sight is much shorter. One major concern at landing at these small airports is wildlife on the runway. It is not uncommon to see deer and other animals searching for food in what appears to them as a quiet field. Everyone has seen what can happen to a car if it hits a dear, one can only imagine what would happen to a small plane?


Sumner County Regional Airport


I have now completed my required 3 hours of night flight, but I’m a little sad. It is very beautiful flying at night and I really enjoyed it. I guess the next time I fly at night I will be a licensed pilot.

Flight Time: 1.5 hours
Cost: Plane rental – 172.50, Instructor Fee - $60.00

No comments:

Post a Comment