Monday, July 25, 2011

Interstate Flight

Today was my first cross country flight. As mentioned before, the FAA defines a cross country flight as 50 or more miles, so Bowling Green/Warren County Regional Airport (BWG) is a great option.

We logged a flight plan and we pre-check DA20 362DC, and noticed there was not sufficient oil pressure (or at least the gauge didn’t state there was). We had to abort, and then take DA20 223NH. Since we changed planes, we never opened up the flight plan.

To stay under the clouds, we flew at about 3,500 feel. The FAA states:

91.159 - VFR cruising altitude or flight level.

Except while holding in a holding pattern of 2 minutes or less, or while turning, each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain the appropriate altitude or flight level prescribed below, unless otherwise authorized by ATC:

(a) When operating below 18,000 feet MSL and?

(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 3,500, 5,500, or 7,500); or

(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any even thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 4,500, 6,500, or 8,500).

(b) When operating above 18,000 feet MSL, maintain the altitude or flight level assigned by ATC.



Since we were headed in direction North northwest (060 degrees) we need to stay at an odd number (plus 500 feet).

The sky was hazy but with enough visibility to see.

The real challenge to cross country flight is navigation. Without the use of technology, there are two main ways to navigate:

Dead reckoning is the process of calculating one's current position by using a previously determined position, or fix, and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time, and course. For example: if I leave the airport at 5:10 pm and I calculate it should take me 15 minutes to reach my first checkpoint (possibly a pond, road, or other landmark), then at 5:25, I can confirm if I’m on course. The pilot picks checkpoint every 10 to 15 miles.

Pilotage is the use of fixed visual references (similar types of checkpoints) on the ground or sea by means of sight or radar to guide oneself to a destination. For example, I know that I65 runs from Nashville to Bowing Green, I could just fly that route.

Since technology can fail, the FAA wants me to have an understanding of these types of navigation methods. We practiced them on the way to BWG, and found the airport with no problem. It took us about 35 minutes to fly there, where it takes about 90 minutes to drive.

One thing that was clear, was that the pilot’s workload is extreme when flying a cross country. You have to look at your notes, check the map, search of items on the ground, maintain course heading (which can be challenging with the wind) all while flying a plane at 120 knots per hour. On this first flight, I noticed I was not as organized or prepared as I would have liked. My CFI was with me, so I had some help, but I’ll need to make sure I have everything at hands reach at all times and anticipate my next task more efficiently.

BWG is an uncontrolled airport, meaning no ATC, and there wasn’t any traffic while we were there. No problems with landing or take off. On the way back, we used the GPS. In the future, I’ll most likely be using a GPS, so I need to be familiar with that as well. This greatly decreased the workload.

We landed back in Smyrna as dust was setting so they had already turned on the airport lights. It was very cool to see my airport all lit up. My landing was smooth and one of my best landings yet.

Flight time: 1.50 hours
Cost: Plane rental - $141.00, Instructor Fee - $72.00

No comments:

Post a Comment