Saturday, March 24, 2012

License to Learn

When I passed my checkride, I was given a temporary pilots, which was basically a print out endorsed by the examiner. From that day, I was given all authority and privileges of every other private pilot. Today

when I got home there was a letter from the FAA. I pretty much knew what to expect, but I tore it open like a kid on Christmas morning. It was my official airman’s certificate! I had never seen a pilot’s license before so I didn’t know what to expect. The letter attached described it as:

Airman certificates have been printed on paper since 1926. A century of extraordinary accomplishments in powered flight is represented by the bold new look of airman certificates printed on composite plastic. The front of the card depicts the qualities of the human spirit that made the first controlled power flight, in the 1903 Wright Flyer, to the billions of commercial flights that followed, a reality. The back of the card depicts Wilbur and Orville Wright and the 1902 Wright Glider, representing the many pioneers, visionaries, and adventurers that dreamed about the possibility of flight and created that reality. The hologram of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) seal, colored graphics, and other features make this certificate worthy of the Civil Aviation Registry’s efforts to celebrate aviation and help chart the next century of flight. We hope you will carry your certificate with pride as it represents your accomplishments and privileges and your commitment to the aviation community.



I will absolutely carry it with pride. To act as a pilot in command, I will need to carry the license, my medical certification and my log book at all times.

I have been asked several times: Now that you have you license, what is next? For most pilots the obvious choice is to seek an instrument rating (IFR). While that is a logical choice, I don’t see much fun in flying in less than ideal weather conditions. While I won’t say I’ll never go for an instrument rating, one of the biggest joys of flying is the view out the window which isn’t possible under most IFR conditions.

There are different type/class ratings I think would be fun. Some examples include: twin engines, sea planes, tail draggers, helicopters just to name a few. Some of these ratings can be completed in just a few hours. Maybe in a couple of years when completing the required continuing education I’ll pursue one of these ratings.

As almost any student pilot can tell you, instructors drive home that Private Pilot’s License is a “license to learn”. When I was tested, I was tested to see if I was a safe pilot. It will take years, both on the ground and in the air, to be truly proficient.

So for now, I’ll bask in the joy of my recent accomplishment and exercise my license to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Keven,

    I blundered across your blog and have enjoyed reading about your journey to becoming a pilot. I see you got your licence in 2012... it is now 2018. Have you used your licence to move into commercial aviation ? Or are you even still flying ? It would be interesting to know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete