Tuesday, July 12, 2011

AOPA

Recently I joined the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA). The AOPA is the leading association in general aviation.


General aviation (GA) is one of the two categories of civil aviation. It refers to all flights other than military and scheduled airline and regular cargo flights, both private and commercial. General aviation flights range from gliders and powered parachutes to large, non-scheduled cargo jet flights. The majority of the world's air traffic falls into this category, and most of the world's airports serve general aviation exclusively.

The AOPA serves the GA community by providing information, research, legislative advocacy, and products and services specifically for pilots.

Membership ($45 annually) includes full access to the extensive training materials, updates, and services on their website, a monthly publication, trip planning assistance and more.

Two items I have already taken advantage is:

Flight Training Scholarship: I haven’t actually received the scholarship, but I did apply to it. My experience with these types of things is that very few people actually apply. I feel that I have just as good of a chance as anyone.

Renters Liability Insurance: When flying with my instructor, I’m actually the co-pilot, and even though I do most of the work my CFI is the pilot in command. If anything happens, it is his liability. Now that I can solo the plane, I assume full responsibility. So I purchased (for $203 annually) a $500,000 liability coverage. $50,000 for each passenger and $5,000 for aircraft damage. Like any insurance, you hope never to use it, but having the coverage is the responsible action to take for my family.

It is great that organizations like the AOPA exist. I recommend anyone interested in aviation to join.

Oh, and for signing up, I also received a cool kneeboard and lapel pin.



No comments:

Post a Comment