Monday, July 18, 2011

Cross Counrty Flight Planning


This is how pilots view the world in their minds. This is a Sectional Aeronautical Chart, used to provide pilots with critical navigation information.


As part of my required training, I have to perform certain cross country flights. The phrase “cross country” invokes images of multistate flying taking hours or days. The FAA defines cross country flight as any flight over 50 miles. It just so happens that Bowling Green, KY is about that distance from Nashville.

Since it rained today, Adam and I took this as an opportunity to start planning our first cross country flight. Below are the items needed to plan a cross country flight. I know that everything could be replaced with a GPS, but the FAA requires that I know how to navigate manually. It is also a good practice just in case the GPS fails.



I did have to purchase a few additional supplies:

Fixed Plotter – it is like a rule and protractor combined ($9)


Pilot Operating Handbook for the Diamond DA20 – similar to an owner’s manual, but also provides information about performance, fuel usage, and limitations. ($22)


Aslo, I needed a Sectional Chart ($10).  We sent about an hour and forty-five minutes planning the trip, and going through all of the math required.

I later tried to replicate it on my own, but hit a roadblock in determining the true airspeed. Looks like I’ll need another review before we actually fly.

Instructor fee: $68.00



No comments:

Post a Comment