Thursday, September 1, 2011

1st solo Cross Country Flight

Today was my first solo cross country flight! Our practice flights has been to Bowling Green, KY so this seemed like the logical choice. I’m confident in my flying, the true main concern is getting lost. The Bowling Green airport actually has an advantage, as I can just keep I65 in sight and it will lead me right to the airport.


Direct flight from Smyrna, TN to Bowling Green, KY - North at a heading of 005

The winds were variable (meaning coming from different directions) at 4 knots. Since I wasn’t able to predict wind correct, and the strength of the wind was minimal, I had to plan my trip as if there was no wind.

There is a old saying in aviation, “There are 3 things that are useless to the pilot”:

1. The fuel left on the truck.
2. The runway left behind
3. The altitude above

Next, I preformed my pre-flight check on the Diamond DA20 (N223NH). There was enough fuel to make the trip and back, but I didn’t want to even worry about fuel levels on this flight, so I had them “top it off”, so I wouldn’t leave what I needed on the truck. Without a passenger, the weight of the fuel wasn’t a concern, and it seemed like it was the perfect companion.

When I checked the weather the clouds looked like they were going to be high today so I planned to fly at 5,500 feet. So I was going to make altitude work in my favor.

In addition to the additional fuel, I had a couple of additional safe guards I was putting into place. First, even though I was navigating using dead reckoning and pilotag, I was going to set the GPS as well. There is no rule that says I can’t, and if it will keep me safe, then I’m using it.

Next, I requested VFR flight flowing for the trip. It is always helpful to have a second set of eyes looking out for me in the air.

Before I even took off, I made sure to enter in all of the radio frequencies for Smyrna Tower, Nashville center, Bowling Green weather, and Bowling Green common traffic.

Once I took off I was diverted away from Nashville International Airport’s airspace. This takes me off course, but I was able to regain my heading after about 10 minutes.

Overall, I was pleased with my navigation, as I was able to get a visual of all of my check points. Once I got to 5,500 feet, I Noticed that I was very close to the clouds (which I’m required to say away from) so I made the decision to descend to 3,500 feet. This action required approval from the Nashville center providing my flight following.

I was having troubles hearing the Nashville center, as there was a lot of static, so I had them repeat their frequency. I confirmed that I was on the correct frequency and just managed the static the rest of the flight.


Nice clear blue skys


Relaxed and Having the Time of My Life



I found the airport without any problems and I checked the weather. The wind was coming from the south at 170 at 4 knots. I picked runway 21 and announced my intentions to enter the traffic pattern. When I got closer to the airport, I saw a larger jet holding short (meaning they were preparing to take off of, but were not actually on the runway) of runway 3, which is the other end of the runway I was planning to land on. I assume: bigger airplane means better pilot, so they must know something I didn’t. I started to second guess my decision, so I checked and re-checked, and I did select the correct runway. I decided to stick with my original decision. I spoke to the larger aircraft to confirm that they would be waiting until I landed before entering the runway.

I landed the plane with no major problems, yet it was far from being my smoothest landing. In fact, I would have been embarrassed if my instructor was with me. That being said, I was safely on the ground and there was no damage to the plane.

A few minutes later a Cesena chose the same runway I did, so it gave me more confidence that I made the correct decision.

I taxied to the ramp and sent my “OTG” text message to Kate. Since I have been flying, so Kate does not worry too much, I text her with OTG (on the ground) once I have landed. Next, I spent a few minutes to re-set my radio frequencies and the GPS for the flight home.


OTG at the Bowling Green Airport

Did I mention it was 101 degrees today?

Setting the radio frequencies and the GPS for the flight home

 
This time I flew at or below 3,000 feet. This allowed me to be compliant with the VFR altitude crusing guidelines yet still be high enough to be safe.

The GPS was showing the route home but it, but for some unknown reason, it was showing me the airspace like it normally would. I knew if I flew my path directly, I would break into Nashville International Airport’s (BNA) airspace, which I needed to avoid. So I looked at my sectional chart and started flying more east than my flight plan (marked in red) required. I looked for what they call the “steam plant” (a company actually manufactures steam???) and headed south. Detour shown in green. Based on the chart, I would be a conformable distance from BNA’s airspace. Once I got close enough I flew back west towards Smyrna.



Finally, I called Smyrna ATC, obtained permission to land, and then landed on runway 19.

Success!!!

My first solo cross country was now complete. In final self-assessment, I didn’t follow my flight plan completely and it was less than perfectly executed flight, but I felt it was a safe flight and the adjustments I made was based upon sound aviation judgment.

This is another important milestone. I’m starting to feel like a true pilot and I’m one more step closer to my goal. I need a total of 5 hours of solo cross country flight hours so I’m now have about 40% of what I need with just this one flight.

Flight time: 2.10 hours – Pilot in Command
Cost: Plane rental - $197.40, Instructor Fee - $0.00

1 comment:

  1. You still give me a heart attack, but I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete