Friday, September 30, 2011

Questions from the Readers

Now that you have driven the Cessna more than once, is there a liking for this type of plane over the "stick" type? I would think that the size difference would lean liking toward the Cessna.


I think would better to compare it to the Diamond DA40, since they both have 4 seats. The design of the Cessna does make it easier to get in and out of. Also, the Cessna 172 seems to land smoother, yet it does more pressure to during the flare up phase of t he landing, which I assume is because it is so heavy in the front. Speaking of being heavier, some of the Diamond aircraft, since they were originally designed to be gliders, get impacted by the wind more than the Cessna.

One item I like about the Diamond aircraft is the placement of the throttle. It is located in center console and you can comfortably keep your hand on it all of the time, just like a gear shifter in the in a car. This allows for gentle tweeting of the power without having to reach for the throttle, which is required in the Cessna.

Also, the turning ratio appears to be longer in the Cessna than in the Diamond.

It is hard to judge a favorite, especially since the Diamonds I have been flying are so much newer that the Cessnas. I think if I fly by myself, I’ll use the Diamond. If I fly with passengers, I’ll use the Cessna since it is more comfortable. I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date.

What does cross-country trip planning entail?

The FAA defines a cross country trip as anything greater than 50 miles. The distance you can fly without stopping has everything to do with the fuel on board. The first thing a pilot does call for a weather brief (and maybe file a flight plan). Next, the pilot plots the course on the sectional chart and indentifies any visual checkpoints along the route. Next the need to calculate the heading with wind direction correction and compass deviation. Finally, the pilot will calculate fuel consumption based upon the weather conditions and how long it will take to get from one checkpoint to the next.

There is a lot of math involved. I’m sure there are programs to assist in this process, but the FAA wants to see that the pilot is able to do it the old fashion was.

What do we know about propellers? I think most are made of wood, maybe Ashe like baseball bats, or maybe aluminum too. How is size and pitch determined? I've seen "props" with various numbers of blades, two, three and even four. What is the determining factor? Why are some mounted on the nose and some on the wings?

Correct, the propellers are usual made of wood or aluminum. Which they use depends on the intended use and care. Wood can be compromised by wet weather, where as aluminum can be impacted by extreme heat.

The number of propellers is selected by the size of the engine. More propellers can “bite” more air, creating more thrust, yet it can also cause more drag. The engineers can also make the propellers fatter, but there is a point of diminishing return. A bigger engine will allow for more propellers. Eventually, more propellers and bigger engine still doesn’t increase performance, so that is why the jet engine was developed.

Most single props will be mounted on the nose of the aircraft. It is not until the engineers add a second engine that they mount them on the wings. The goal is to get air moving equally across the wings.

Do you feel safe in these small aircraft?

Well there is an inherent danger in flying of which I’m keenly aware of, yet with the knowledge I have gained over the past few months, I have learned that a lot has to happen before something can go wrong. Planes don’t just fall out of the sky. In addition, the bumps from wind and turbulence are more anticipated. In the beginning, when there was a sudden unexpected movement in the aircraft, I would feel a momentary panic. Now, I hardly notice them. Once example: once I have completed my take off, and reach a safe altitude, I elevate the flaps to natural. This affects the aerodynamics of the aircraft and you can feel the change. Now after about 140 takeoffs, my body recognizes it as normal, and I hardly notice it.

I feel safe, but I hope I will always be Über-vigilant on safety and not be too complacent.

No comments:

Post a Comment