Saturday, September 24, 2011

At the intersection of Donelson Pike and Taxiway “L”

Today was a perfect day for a flight at Nashville International Airport (BNA). I pre-checked the Cessna 172 (5146R) and we headed towards runway 20C. I handled the communications for the first time at a Class C airport.

In the C172, on Runway 20C, ready to take off!

Takeoff was perfect and we flew east towards Lebanon airport (M54). Once again, we stayed in the traffic. 9 take off and landings.

Before heading back to BNA, we practiced a simulated engine failure. It did go very well as I would not have hit my intended target. One of the differences with the C172 as compared to the DA20 is that the distance appears to be greater on the C172, thus I lost more altitude making the turn (and I wasn’t in position) then I had expected.

On the way back to the airport, I stayed “under the hood” for some more instrument training. The big fun this time was landing on runway 20L. Runway 20L is a normal 8,000 foot runway, yet it is on the other side of Donaldson Pike. I taxied back via taxiway L, which is the bridge over Donaldson Pike. Growing in Chicago, I’m use to seeing planes taxi on a bridge over a road, but it was fun to experience it myself.


This is what taxiway L looks like from Donaldson Pike 

Flight Time: 1.5 hours

Cost: Plane rental - $172.50, Instructor Fee - $60.00

No comments:

Post a Comment