Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Say Again

One of the many benefits of the AOPA is that they host seminars throughout the country, most are free. This evening I attended one of these seminars at the Nashville International Airport. The topic was “Say Again? Radio Communication Done Right” (basically radio communications).


Out of the 60 plus attendees, only a handful were students like me, so some of the information went over my head, yet I still found some useful information. Even better, they had some air traffic controllers present.

The most helpful part was the Q&A section, as I got to hear the more experienced pilots were asking.

Overall this was a great experience. I did notice the audience was mainly older (55-70 years old) white men. I saw maybe 4 women, a handful of guys below 40 and only one black person. Around the airport, I noticed there wasn’t much diversity, but having everyone in one room really highlighted it. Not sure why this hobby (or career) appeals to such a select demographic. I can’t imagine anyone not wanting to fly…



No comments:

Post a Comment