Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An apple a day keeps the AME away

Today I went to see Dr. Thomas Friddell for a physical.  A pilot is expected to maintain good health, and is required to obtain a Medical Certificate from an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).  Dr. Friddell is one of the few AMEs in middle TN.  Although officially retired from practice, Dr. Friddell performs these examinations once a week.

Any person acting as pilot in command (except for free balloons, gliders, and ultralights) must hold a current and appropriate medical certificate. This includes student pilots in solo flight as well as private, commercial, and airline pilots.  Technically, I’m not ready to act a pilot-in-command, so I don’t need to have my medical certificate yet.  I would need to have it by the time I’m ready to solo.

Attached to the medical certification is the Student Pilot Certificate.  Once my CFI feels I am competent to solo for the first time, he will document what type of aircraft I’m trained to fly on my own.  Just like a learners permit in high school, I will be required to carry this card with me every time I take a solo flight.  While I am weeks of training away from flying solo, I was given advice to get the medical certificate as soon as possible.

The rationale behind the advice…  If you have a condition which prevents you from flying, it is better to know about it before you spend hundreds of dollars on flight training you’ll never be able to complete.  Appears to be sound advice to me.

Some example of medical conditions which make you ineligible to pilot in command:
·         Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
·         Angina pectoris
·         Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic of clinically significant
·         Myocardial infarction
·         Bipolar disease
·         Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
·         Substance abuse within the last two years
·         Epilepsy
·         Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
·         Less than 20/40 in each eye separately, with or without correction.

Of course waivers can be received for some conditions and there can be limitations/restrictions placed on your medical certification.  For example, I must wear corrective lenses (contacts) when I fly.

My medical certification is a Class 3.  It has the least restrictive medical requirements and the certificates are generally good for 3 years for applicants under age 40 and 2 years for those 40 and over.

While it didn’t require much effort or skill on my part, a FAA Medical Certificate is an important milestone in becoming a pilot.  Just one more reason to stay healthy.

Cost of the examination: $90.00

No comments:

Post a Comment