Sunday, May 1, 2011

Start of a New Adventure

It is hard to determine exactly when this journey started. Growing up a few miles from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, airplanes were a bit of annoyance. In the summer, I would have to pause a conversation or raise the volume on the TV while the noisy planes flew over.

At some point, the allure of gliding through the air coupled with the ability to travel to far off places took over. Yet actually becoming a pilot seemed as realistic as becoming a professional baseball player, a cowboy or an astronaut.

As an adult, I had met a couple of private and commercial pilots, yet I didn't think much about it as I pursued other adventures such as becoming a firefighter, black belt in judo, motorcycles, skydiving, etc...

Then in 2002, I saw a class at the park district for pilot ground school ($200). I took the class and even had a couple of hours of actual flight time. I did well, but the timing was off. I started dating a new girl (now my wife), money was tight as I just bought my first home, and taking flight classes just a few months after September 11th wasn't well supported.

During the years since then I yearned to fly again, but it never seemed to work out. Then in 2010, after my son was born, I knew that I couldn't let this dream slip away. I wanted Rome to know that even dad follows his dreams. I started saving my pennies and Kate has been a wonderful support. 2011 is the year for Keven Palmissano to become a private pilot. I am so psyched!

Why a blog? Of course I want to record my adventure step by step, but I also want to use it as a tool for learning. Throughout my formal education, I have found that I'm much more successful when I re-write my notes. Why not make it digital? Plus, I want to share my adventure with my family and friends.

I plan to give details about what I'm doing and what I'm learning. The questions I receive the most have to do with safety and cost, so I'll try to address these as much as possible. Some of it may be a bit technical and dry, but I would be honored if you kept reading. The length of posts will vary from several paragraphs to just a few words. Also, I will apologize in advance for spelling error, typos, and poor grammar. Come join the adventure with me, we'll soar together.





1st flight - 8/9/2003



1 comment:

  1. So proud to be your first comment! You are going to do great and I can't wait to watch you achieve this dream!

    ReplyDelete