Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How much does $1,095.80 get you?


As I mentioned before, one of the main questions I get asked when I tell people about becoming a pilot has to do with cost.  I stated I would be transparent with the costs…  Well I’m 17 days into this adventure and my total is at $1,095.80.

What have I gotten for that amount?
·         Knee Board
·         Used Private Pilot Maneuvers Manual
·         New Pilot Log book
·         Used David Clark Headset
·         A physical from an AME
·         6.8 hours of instruction
·         5.0 hours of flight time logged
·         .4 hours if instrument (hood) training
·         8 take off and landings

Yes, this is absolutely expensive, but a lot of the major costs are in the beginning.  I don’t anticipate having to purchase any other equipment, and once I start to solo, I will not have the instructor fees as often.

To put it in perspective, the price of a Mizuno MP-58 3-PW iron set of golf clubs is $1,099.  This is the cost before you even set foot on the course, and who uses only 3 clubs?  Also, who would argue that golf is more fun than soaring through the air?

1 comment:

  1. Just wait until you take up restoring old cars or street rods. $1,095.00 won't get you an intake manifold and dual carbs.

    ReplyDelete