Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tools of a Student Pilot


One of the questions I often get asked is what type of equipment I have to purchased to learn to fly.  Mostly, it is just training text, but I’ll outline what I have so far.  I’m sure I’ll get more stuff in the months to come, but this is a start.

I had the student pilot manual left over from 2002, and it does not require updating often, so my CFI said it would still be usable.  I don’t recall the cost, but Amazon has it for around $60

Flight calculator – used in navigation.  Even though GPS is widely available now, pilots are still required to know get from point A to point B the low tech way.  About $15

Knee Board – It is like a clip board that gets strapped to you thigh during flight.  Charts or other important documents can be kept secured and available during flight on the board.  Paid $16.93

Flight Maneuver Manual,  Paid $15.49
Pilot Log Book – used to track flight hours and other training.  Every time I fly I’ll make an entry into this log.  When needed, my CFI will sign off that various training goals have been met.  I will keep up with this log book long after I become licensed.  Paid $9.88


The one item I don’t have yet is aviation headphones.  The price of the headsets can range in price from a couple hundred dollars to about a grand.  I will have to purchase a set, but I wanted to wait for a couple of weeks into my training so I can make a more educated buying decision.  My CFI said I can borrow a pair of his while I fly with him, but I’ll need it before I solo. 

Of course aviator glasses are a must.  Gift from my wife.  Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment